Make Your Energy Bill More Manageable
If you need assistance managing your energy bill, the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program may be able to help.
CARE is a 24 month affordable payment plan that helps you stay on top of your energy bills. As a CARE member, you will receive the following benefits:
Affordable fixed monthly bill
Any past due balance you might have will be gradually forgiven as a reward for on time payments
As a CARE member, you may also be eligible to receive no-cost, in-home energy efficiency upgrades to help reduce your energy costs through our Helping Neighbors Program. To learn more, call 877-448-9433 or visit ConsumersHelpingNeighbors.com
CARE customers are enrolled in the program for 24 months regardless of start date. Once you have graduated from the program, validation will be required for reenrollment.
To qualify, customers must meet the following criteria:
- Must receive an energy related SER from DHHS in order to be considered income eligible
- Total account balance must be less than $4,000
- Must be an active, residential Consumers Energy account holder or the spouse of the account holder
- Must not have unaddressed theft or fraud on the account
CARE Enrollment Process
CARE enrollment opens in October and is on a first come first serve basis. If you are past due and need assistance with your bill, apply for State Emergency Relief (SER) here. On your SER application you can chose a “Navigator” from the below list of agencies. Your agency navigator can help you enroll in CARE and provide self-sufficiency services. Dial 2-1-1 to find assistance in your area.
To make your enrollment process easier, please be sure to gather the following supporting documentation:
- Most recent Consumers Energy bill
- Social Security card of applicant and social security numbers for household members
- Driver’s license of applicant
- Proof of all household gross income (amount before deductions) received during the 30 days prior to the application signature date
If the CARE Program isn’t right for you, below are additional assistance programs.
Shut-Off Protection Plan is available year-round.
- Meet Income Guidelines (200% of poverty level)
- 10% of total account balance is due at enrollment
Winter Protection Plan is available November 1 through March 31.
- Senior Citizen (65 years or older)
- Meet Income Guidelines (150% of poverty level)
- Down payment is required.